Filing US Expatriate Taxes with a Foreign Spouse

US expats with a foreign spouse often wonder how to file their US expatriate taxes, especially if their spouse doesn’t have a Social Security number. In this video, David McKeegan, Co-Founder of Greenback Expat Tax Services answers the question and outlines the options.



Hi everybody my name is David McKeegan. I’m with Greenback Expat Tax Services. Our question today is, what if your foreign spouse does not have a Social Security number, what do you do with your expat taxes? Well there is a couple of different things you can do here. If your foreign spouse does not have a Social Security number and you don’t want to include them on your taxes, there is a number of reasons you might not want to include them. If they are the main bread winner, if you have no intention of ever moving to the U. with them, you may not want to bring them under the umbrella of filing US taxes. In that case, your options would be to file Married, Filing Separately. If you have children or other US persons in your family, you can also file as Head of Household, which would give you a larger deduction. You can file Head of Household even if you’re not including your spouse on your tax return.

The followup question to this is usually, well when would I want to include my foreign spouse on my US taxes? Really, the time you’d want to bring a foreign spouse into your US taxes is if you are planning on trying to get them a green card and moving to the US with them. Then you are going to want to show a history of them paying taxes to the US as well. It can help make that process a little bit smoother. That’s all for today, if you have any questions please get in touch. Thank you.


Have More Questions About Filing Your US Expatriate Taxes?

If you would like more information on filing your US expatriate taxes with a foreign spouse or would like Greenback Expat Tax Services to prepare your expat tax return, please contact us.