Do I need to pay estimated taxes?

You may need to make estimated tax payments to the IRS if you are filing as a self-employed individual (including a sole proprietor, partner, or S Corp shareholder) and you expect to owe $1000 or more. If you have a US-based corporation and you expect to owe more than $500, then you should make estimated payments. Also, if you had a tax liability for the previous year, you may be required to make estimated payments during the current year.