Frequently Asked Questions
US Expat Tax Services and Pricing

Greenback is the expert in providing expat tax services at competitive pricing. Discover our US expat tax filing fees and what they entail!

Does Greenback add sales tax or VAT?

Here at Greenback, we work very hard to keep our prices as low as possible for our clients. In addition to our flat fees, one of the bonuses of working with Greenback is that we do NOT charge sales tax or VAT.

This means you automatically save about 20% just by choosing Greenback compared to a firm in Europe, Australia or Canada!

[back to top]

Can you file Form 1120S (for my S-corp) and how much would it cost?

We can file the tax documents for all types of small businesses including an S-corp. Specifically for an S-corp, you would file using Form 1120S (and then report the income on a K-1 along with your personal tax return). In this case, we would charge $485 to complete Small Business Tax Returns (Forms 1065, 1120, 1120-F, 1120-S) and $485 to complete your 1040 and the associated forms, including the K-1.

[back to top]

How do you treat employer contributions to the Australian superannuation plan?

The Australian superannuation fund often causes confusion for American expats residing in Australia. Especially when it comes time to report it on your US returns! One of the biggest questions we receive is how the employer contributions are treated.

Employer contributions should be treated like compensation. So, for foreign tax credit purposes, it will fall in the general income category. These contributions would need to be included in the return (as income). If you are considered a highly compensated employee, some additional rules apply.

A highly compensated employee is currently an individual receiving salary of $110,000 or more. In this case, you should also look to include the growth in the fund (so earnings minus expenses) in addition to the contributions. Fortunately, a foreign tax credit can be claimed for the 15% contributions tax. Neither the employer contributions nor growth can be considered “earned income” when calculating the foreign eaned income exclusion.

[back to top]

After I have referred a friend to Greenback, when do I receive my referral gift certificate?

Once your friend completes a Federal return with us, you will receive your $25 gift card within the first few days of the following month. So, if your friend completes his return in April, you will receive your gift card in early May.

[back to top]

When do I have to pay for my Greenback services?

When we prepare your returns, we want you to be 100% satisfied before you pay anything! As such, there is nothing due upfront. Instead, your invoice will be sent after your return has been drafted. This gives you the chance to work with our system, our process and your accountant (and be completely satisfied with all these things) before you have to address your invoice. We generate the invoice when the draft return has been uploaded to your secure file, and we ask that you pay the invoice within 5 business days. Once you have approved your draft return and paid the invoice, your final tax return will be uploaded to your secure file. If we are able to e-file your return, we will do so, but if we are unable to e-file, you will need to print, sign and mail in your tax return.


[back to top]

How can you guarantee satisfaction on your US expat tax services?

At Greenback we stand behind our services 100%. Your final return will not be uploaded until you have confirmed that you are satisfied with the draft return provided by your accountant. As an additional measure of comfort, we offer a 100% money-back guarantee in the event that you are unsatisfied with your return preparation.

[back to top]

Do you have a referral program?

We do! If you refer one of your friends to us using our Refer-A-Friend program and they complete their US taxes with us, we will send you a $25 Amazon gift card. It’s that simple!

Even better, we will do this for each friend you refer who uses us to prepare their taxes. If two of your friends decide to work with us, then that’s a $50 gift card for you. If six of your friends decide to work with us, you will get a $150 gift card! There is no limit to the number of friends you can refer to Greenback, and the gift cards will be sent in the month following when your friend completes his/her return.

[back to top]

How can I spread the word about Greenback Expat Tax Services?

There are multiple ways to spread the word about Greenback. You can head on over to our Facebook page, give us a “Like” and share your experience with your friends and why they should use us for their US expat taxes.

You can refer us directly to your friends via our Refer-a-Friend Program, and when your friends complete their taxes with us, we will send you a $25 Amazon gift card as a thank you!

If you are a member of any expat groups (or just groups that have lots of expats), put up a post on their website or intranet letting them know about us. Make sure they know to tell us that you referred them!

Remember, we love feedback – positive and constructive!  The best place to provide us with feedback is via our Customer Review Page. Please feel free to tell us what you did and did not like about your experience as we always welcome suggestions for improving our process.

[back to top]

How long does it take to prepare a US expat tax return?

While the amount of time varies depending on complexity, we aim to turn around all tax returns within 5 business days of receiving all of your tax documentation (including your questionnaire and the supporting documents). We can usually complete your return much faster than this, but during the busy season, things can move a bit slower (hence the 5 days!). If you need a quicker turnaround, please let us know and we will do our best to expedite your return and meet your deadlines.

Note: the quicker you provide us with the necessary information, the quicker we can get started on your return!

[back to top]

What information do you need from me to prepare the US expat tax return?

As you can imagine, the information required to complete your expat tax return is standard across all accountants. We have tried to differentiate ourselves by making the system we use to capture this data as simple for you to follow as possible. At the heart of this, we have made two assumptions:

– You are not an accountant
– You have better things to do with your time than calculate the miscellaneous information the IRS requires

We will ask you to either upload or mail us copies of your relevant tax documents showing things such as your income, the tax you paid the local government (i.e., UK, Germany, etc.), the interest you earned, any capital gains/losses you made, and any mortgage interest you paid, and so on. We will not ask you to do any of the calculations or to rummage through your documents to find information. Instead, we ask you to upload your documents and to let our accountants do the work for you.

[back to top]