Frequently Asked Questions
About Greenback US Expat Tax Services

Are you an American living abroad struggling to navigate the tax process? Greenback specializes in US tax for expats. Get all the information you need now.

How does your US Expat Opinion Survey work?

There’s nothing more American than voicing your opinion, which is why Greenback is proud to present our annual US Expat Opinion Survey.

In this brief survey (5 minutes or less), we ask for your thoughts on filing taxes and other issues relevant to Americans living abroad. Unite with expats around the world to make your voice heard! Take the 2017 US Expat Opinion Survey now!

Or, view the 2016 survey results.

[back to top]

Do you prepare tax returns for other countries, as well?

At this time, our accountants can provide expert tax services and advice for the US, UK, and CAN. However, we are looking into expanding our network to include additional country-specific accountants – so this may be an option in the near future. Check back with us frequently for updates!

[back to top]

How can I contact Greenback Expat Tax Services?

Due to the many time zones we operate in, the best way to contact us is via email (info(at) If you prefer to speak via phone, you may also call us toll-free by telephone (1-888-362-5032).

[back to top]

Why should I choose Greenback over other US expat tax preparation providers?

While there are many tax preparation firms available, we pride ourselves in offering a service that is a cut above the rest. Our accountants are all US CPAs or IRS Enrolled Agents with extensive and specific experience with expatriate taxation. Your accountant will work with you to prepare your return and answer any questions you have before, during and after your return has been prepared. We offer a secure data portal to upload your documents. We do our best to make the US expat tax filing process as simple as possible for you, starting with not making you do all of the calculations or fill out endless forms. Finally, we believe in honest, transparent, flat-fee pricing. All our prices are listed openly for you to review and understand before you engage with us.

But don’t take our word for it! We invite you to read what our current customers have to say about why they love working with us!

[back to top]

Why can’t I do my tax return myself?

While you may feel comfortable preparing your US tax return while living in the US, expatriate taxation can become very complex. There are additional forms and schedules that must be filed in order to reduce or eliminate double taxation, and you may need to report foreign bank accounts to the US Treasury, the IRS or both via the FBAR and FATCA Form 8938, respectively. You may even need to consult relevant tax treaties to ensure you are able to minimize your US tax liability. Mistakes on your US expat taxes can be very time-consuming and costly, which is not aided by the fact that the tax laws change thousands of times per year. It will take much more than the IRS’s estimated 30 hours to prepare your tax return if you need to learn about the additional forms and schedules, find tax software that can accommodate your needs, enter all the data and check the return. At the end, you still are not guaranteed a correct tax return!

[back to top]

Why should I hire Greenback rather than my CPA in the United States?

While your US CPA is likely more than capable of preparing US income tax returns, he or she may not be as familiar with the additional forms and schedules that need to be filed with an expat tax return. Failing to fill out those additional forms correctly can result in you not receiving the right deductions and exclusions (which might mean you pay more on your US tax return), and can also be costly and time-consuming to fix. We amend dozens of returns annually that were incorrectly prepared by well-meaning CPAs in the US who are unfamiliar with expat taxation.

[back to top]

Who will actually prepare my US expat tax return?

You will be assigned an accountant (either a CPA or an IRS Enrolled Agent) upon registering with Greenback Expat Tax Services, and this accountant will prepare your tax return for you. Your accountant will take the time to get to you know you and your specific situation, answer any questions you have, and be on hand the following year to keep you compliant with your US filing requirements. The work of preparing your tax return is not outsourced to Egypt, India or anyplace else!

[back to top]

How can I pay for my US expat tax services?

We accept MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Diner’s Club or JCB for payment. In cases where that is absolutely not possible, you can also wire money directly to us, but there is an additional $25 charge for the incoming wire transfer. If you need to pay via wire transfer, email us at support(at) We do not accept paper checks.

[back to top]

How do you keep your prices so low?

First, our loyal customer base returns to us every year, and they spread the word to their expat friends, too! Second, because we are a virtual team, we do not have the additional hefty cost of offices, commutes, etc. This allows us to spend money where it matters: on ensuring our customers have a reason to return every year. We do this by hiring an exceptional team of expat-expert CPAs and IRS Enrolled Agents and by investing in industry-leading applications that ensure our clients’ information is encrypted and secure while keeping it accessible and easy to use.

[back to top]

How secure is your website?

Simply stated, our website is extremely secure. We use the same 256-bit encryption used by international banks around the world. Your information is only accessed by the CPA or IRS Enrolled Agent who is preparing your tax returns.

[back to top]