Remote Director of Technology
Greenback Expat Tax Services is a company that specializes in preparing tax returns for Americans living overseas. We are a highly energetic, positive, resourceful team working virtually across the globe. One of the hallmarks of Greenback is our focus on the customer experience and making that simple and hassle-free. Key to our business’s ability to succeed and best serve customers is our technical infrastructure, and specifically our customer portal. We are currently seeking a Director of Technology that would be responsible for the entire technical stack of the Greenback business, including but not limited to the customer experience with our systems and processes, the tools and systems the accountant partners use to service customers, and the Salesforce CRM and Hubspot service that we use to manage the business on the back end.
The Director of Technology is a new role for the business and reflects our full commitment to growing our technical infrastructure and abilities.
You’re not afraid to tackle complicated setups and bring order out of chaos.
- Our customer portal was built in 2015, in Salesforce, using custom code. This means that there is a lot of complexity to unwind and every detail is important. We need someone who will help simplify vs add additional complexity while retaining a robust customer experience.
You are an expert project manager and details and dependencies don’t frighten you.
- When managing a growing small business’s tech setup, being able to anticipate the project end to end, manage stakeholders, identify dependencies, and plan, plan, plan are all key! We need someone who can project manage with ease and clarity.
You’re obsessive about the details!
- Ensuring each and every customer who works with us has an excellent customer experience is important to you, and you understand that details matter. Colors, positioning of buttons, thinking through each potential journey a customer would go through. You don’t rest until the process and experience are perfect.
- You’re careful, cautious, and lead the team to improve.
You can think big picture, and plan for the long term.
- You are relentless in ensuring no system bugs, that everything works well, and someone who can think ahead and help plan for the future. Stagnating is death for a small (or any size!) business. We’re constantly improving, thinking about what the business needs in 6 months/12 months/3 years/5 years. You’re always in the know about the future of technology and can generate it within our business.
You work well with stakeholders and know how to balance priorities.
- As the main owner of all technology for the business, you will have many internal stakeholders with ideas, wish lists, requirements, and needs. You’re good at being able to help the team clarify needs, scope requirements, ID the difference between a symptom and the core issue. This requires excellent communication, listening, and prioritization skills.
You can lead the team, (vs need training) in managing the tech stack for a business.
- The Greenback founders come from marketing and finance backgrounds, not technical ones, so they’re looking to YOU to lead the charge here. This is a role where we need someone who arrives ready to be a leader in this space and can help transform the organization into one that is ahead of the curve (vs chasing behind our tech). You’ll sit on the leadership team and will be relied on to be the subject matter expert and leader in this space.
- Small entrepreneurial businesses operate very distinctly from large ones, so we’re looking for someone who has done this role in a company between 1-50 employees, and $2-$10M revenue.
You know Salesforce- inside and out.
- We work with a talented Salesforce development agency, so we’re not looking for someone to do the development in house, but rather someone to sit internally to manage that development with our SF agency. Having said that, you need to have at least 3 years as a Salesforce superuser, specific experience with customer and partner communities, and the ability to speak the language of Salesforce and our integrations (HubSpot, Box, Freshbooks, Adobe, Kubaru, etc.).
You care deeply about the customer experience.
- Customer experience is the DNA of our business, and it’s the reason we will either thrive and grow as a business – or not. Our accountants are in service of the customer as well, so ensuring they have the tools they need to do so are part and parcel of the same thing.
Time zone: we’re looking for someone who is in a fixed time zone +/- 3 hours from EST. We’re not looking for long term travelers/people who aren’t in the same time zone most of the year.
What We Offer:
- The opportunity for you to work with highly talented, communicative, make-it-happen people who also love adventures.
- A seat on our leadership team long term.
- Very generous time-off policy – in 2020, we had 16 company paid holidays and a take-what-you-need policy on time off.
- 4 weeks of Paid Parental Leave at 100% of your salary!
- We have an excellent benefits package that includes a 401k plan (with company match), medical, vision, and dental coverage (We pay 75% of your premium), and short term disability (We cover 100% of the cost)!
- This role will work hand in hand with the CEO/COO, so you’ll get lots of access to mentorship.
- Annual team trip (last year: San Diego, 2019: Playa del Carmen, Mexico)
Greenback makes life better for Americans living abroad and aims to take away the anxiety and hassle of helping US expats become and stay compliant with their US taxes while overseas.
- We cherish feedback and consider it a gift to each other and from our customers.
- We build trust by providing a painless tax preparation experience that our customers can’t help but tell their friends, family, and expat communities about us.
- We make decisions quickly and effectively using data with customer needs always in the forefront of our minds.
- We strive for simplicity and seek to continually improve processes both internally and externally.
- We think and strategize like a large company while maintaining the heart, passion, and pace of a small company.
- We understand that expat taxes are not one size fits all and provide confidence to our customers through our deep expertise in expat tax.
- We believe that detailed planning and flawless execution are critical for a smooth-running operation.
- We hold ourselves to the highest standards and we are accountable for the success of our role within the business. Being accountable includes an obligation to make things better, to pursue excellence, and to do things in ways that further the goals of the business.
- We approach each day and the new challenges it brings with a positive attitude, an open mind, and a can-do spirit! We celebrate and honor each other’s contributions proactively.