A Whole New World: Tax Compliance in the Era of IRS Crackdowns and Passport Revocation
What It's About
Behind on your expat taxes? Watch this webinar to find out how to survive recent IRS crackdowns and avoid losing your passport. In recent years, the IRS is cracking down on those who are behind on US taxes – even those who live overseas and are unaware they needed to file in the first place. The IRS has doubled down on efforts to begin passport revocation for those who are not caught up on their taxes, a process that disproportionately affects Americans living abroad. Luckily, expats currently still have the opportunity to use some amnesty programs – including the Streamlined Filing Procedures – to get caught up. Our webinar walks expats through all the latest information they need to know about getting caught up before it’s too late.
What You Will Learn
- New compliance initiatives that target expats in particular, such as the S Corporations Built In Gains Tax, Post-OVDP Compliance, Expatriation, High Income Non-Filer, US Territories – Erroneous Refundable Credits, and the Section 457A Deferred Compensation Attributable to Services Performed Before January 1, 2009
- Passport revocation: who will be targeted, and how to avoid this situation
- The rise in noncompliance notices
- The IRS crackdown, how it affects expats, and the most cost effective ways to get caught up
- The consequences that expats who are behind on US taxes will face if they stay noncompliant
- How expats can use the temporarily available amnesty programs to get caught up penalty-free, if they meet the requirements
Meet Your Presenters.
Christie is an IRS Enrolled Agent that began her career working in real estate investment sales and transitioned to taxation with the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program working stateside and overseas. As a US military spouse, Christie is grateful to have lived 3 years in Germany where she fostered her knowledge in expatriate taxation. Living abroad gave her unique insight to the complicated tax circumstances that expats encounter to meet their US tax filing requirements. Christie specializes in US taxation, preventative law and tax resolution for military, real estate investors, retirees and small business owners living overseas.
Tabitha, Customer Champion
Having been an expat herself, Tabitha knows full well all the joys and headaches that can come with living abroad! As an IRS Enrolled Agent, Tabitha helps simplify the tax prep process for our clients by providing clear guidance and answering expat tax questions. More than anything, she's loves sharing "aha!" moments with expats who've found the clarity they need to file with confidence!