Get Started

Easy expat taxes for US citizens living in Singapore

Figuring out the requirements for two countries can make filing taxes costly and time consuming. Team up with a tax professional to save time and money on your US expat taxes in Singapore.

Start Your U.S. Expat Tax Return

  • By entering your email, you agree to receive emails from Greenback. You may opt out at any time per our Privacy Policy.
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Simplify your US taxes in Singapore — without giving up any savings.

We’ll take care of everything from foreign tax credits to deadlines.

  1. Although there is no US tax treaty with Singapore, you can still use the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, foreign tax credits, and the foreign housing exclusion to save on your US expat taxes.

  2. US citizens are required to pay Social Security taxes, even if they also contribute to the Singapore Central Provident Fund (the local Social Security equivalent) because the countries do not have a Social Security agreement.

  3. If you are self-employed in Singapore, you will need to adhere to additional tax obligations to make sure you are compliant in both countries.

  4. US citizens with bank accounts or other financial assets in Singapore may be required to report those funds to the IRS by filing the FBAR form.

Understanding tax requirements for Americans living in Singapore is the best way to save! That’s where Greenback comes in.

Don’t let your US expat taxes interrupt your adventure in Singapore.

While every tax situation is unique, most US citizens living Singapore will need to file the documents below. Based on your needs, we may recommend additional services — for example, if you own a business or need to catch up on your US expat taxes.

Federal Tax Return

All Americans living abroad need to file a federal tax return each year, if they make over the minimum filing thresholds (12,000 for filing single, 24,000 for married filing jointly). This is true even if you are filing in the country in which you reside.


State Tax Return

This varies on the last state you lived in in the US. Some states like California or Virginia require you to file a tax return, others like Washington or Texas do not. We can advise you based on your specific situation.


FBAR Reporting

If you have a financial interest in one or more overseas financial accounts and the total value of all of the financial accounts combined was $10,000 or more during any point during the tax year.

$100 per 5 accounts

The Greenback Difference

  • We go the extra - few thousand - miles.

    Whether it is finding every possible deduction to reduce your tax liability, or providing a timely answer to a question, all Greenback accountants go above and beyond to take care of our clients all around the world.

  • Messy calculations no more.

    Our accountants do all the heavy lifting when it comes to your tax return. We don’t have you do any of the financial calculations, as many firms do.

  • No tax jargon. Just clear communication.

    We take great care to explain taxes in simple terms that you can understand. Our accountants are excellent communicators who truly want you to understand what they are doing and why.

  • Ensuring your privacy with banking-grade security.

    Your privacy is always paramount. We use 256-bit data encryption, which is the same as most banks use, to ensure the highest level of security. Each client is given a personal, password-protected online folder where they upload their tax documents. Only you and your accountant will access to the files, so your private information stays just that – private.

Client Promise

Free Guide
25 Things Every Expat
Needs to Know
About Taxes

  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • By entering your email, you agree to receive emails from Greenback. You may opt out at any time per our Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.