Get Started

Fast, accurate taxes for US citizens working in Sweden.

Between Sweden’s high tax rates and the complex US tax system, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. Team up with an expert who can simplify taxes for US citizens working in Sweden.

Start Your U.S. Expat Tax Return

  • By entering your email, you agree to receive emails from Greenback. You may opt out at any time per our Privacy Policy.
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Many Americans in Sweden can eliminate their US tax bill. Are you one of them?

Find out how to save with special tax credits, exclusions, and deductions for US citizens in Sweden.

  1. Sweden’s tax rate is high enough that resident expats are almost guaranteed to wipe out their tax liability with the United States. But you’ll still need to file accurately and on time to avoid penalties!

  2. American expats can use the Foreign Tax Credit to offset US taxes dollar-for-dollar with taxes paid in Sweden.

  3. Working abroad? The Foreign Earned Income Exclusion allows you to exclude a certain amount of the income you earned in Sweden from your US expat taxes.

  4. US citizens and green card holders may need to report on financial assets in Sweden, including bank accounts, with amounts higher than the thresholds set by the IRS. Incomplete filings can result in additional fees.

One of the best ways for US citizens working in Sweden to save on taxes is to file early and accurately. Greenback can help you do it!

Check US expat taxes off your to-do list so you can enjoy Sweden.

We’ll review your personal tax needs to make sure your filing is correct and complete. Assuming you’re up to date on your US expat taxes, most Americans living in Sweden need to file the following:

Federal Tax Return

All Americans living abroad need to file a federal tax return each year, if they make over the minimum filing thresholds (12,000 for filing single, 24,000 for married filing jointly). This is true even if you are filing in the country in which you reside.


State Tax Return

This varies on the last state you lived in in the US. Some states like California or Virginia require you to file a tax return, others like Washington or Texas do not. We can advise you based on your specific situation.


FBAR Reporting

If you have a financial interest in one or more overseas financial accounts and the total value of all of the financial accounts combined was $10,000 or more during any point during the tax year.

$100 per 5 accounts

The Greenback Difference

  • We go the extra - few thousand - miles.

    Whether it is finding every possible deduction to reduce your tax liability, or providing a timely answer to a question, all Greenback accountants go above and beyond to take care of our clients all around the world.

  • Messy calculations no more.

    Our accountants do all the heavy lifting when it comes to your tax return. We don’t have you do any of the financial calculations, as many firms do.

  • No tax jargon. Just clear communication.

    We take great care to explain taxes in simple terms that you can understand. Our accountants are excellent communicators who truly want you to understand what they are doing and why.

  • Ensuring your privacy with banking-grade security.

    Your privacy is always paramount. We use 256-bit data encryption, which is the same as most banks use, to ensure the highest level of security. Each client is given a personal, password-protected online folder where they upload their tax documents. Only you and your accountant will access to the files, so your private information stays just that – private.

Client Promise

Free Guide
25 Things Every Expat
Needs to Know
About Taxes

  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • By entering your email, you agree to receive emails from Greenback. You may opt out at any time per our Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.