Frequently Asked Questions
UK Tax Services

Greenback helps you with your US expat taxes in the UK. Get all the information regarding deadlines and documents that you need to start the filing process.

Can I get just my UK tax returns done with Greenback?

In short, yes. Greenback will refer you to a trusted and certified expat accountant in the UK who can file your UK tax returns. Because we’ve had a long relationship with our UK accountant who is familiar with US expat taxes, we do recommend having Greenback file US tax returns, and our trusted UK accountant file your UK tax returns to further streamline the process. However, if you need only your UK returns filed, we will gladly connect you to our partner.

[back to top]

Do you prepare tax returns for other countries, as well?

At this time, our accountants can provide expert tax services and advice for the US, UK, and CAN. However, we are looking into expanding our network to include additional country-specific accountants – so this may be an option in the near future. Check back with us frequently for updates!

[back to top]

How much do your UK tax services cost?

Our UK tax partner charges £400 + VAT for a UK tax return, and £150 + VAT for a half an hour UK tax consultation.

[back to top]

What documents do I need to have ready to file my UK tax return?

The documents required to file a UK tax return vary depending on the individual; however, the below documents are a good place to start the gathering process.

  • Any US federal or state filings for the year
  • Your P60 or P45 for the year in question (given to you by your employer after April 5th each year)
  • Form P11d (if relevant from your employer)
  • Calendar showing dates you were outside of the UK that year
  • Bank interest received in the UK that year
  • Any capital gain statements
  • Any rental income and expenses
[back to top]

What forms are included in a UK tax return?

The UK return is a standard six-page return with attached supplementary forms such as employment, rental income, etc.

[back to top]

What is the process for filing both my US and UK expat tax returns? Will I have to upload everything twice?

No! Your Greenback accountants will coordinate so that you don’t waste time uploading your documents twice. Both your US and your UK accountants will have access to the same secure file, so you just need to upload your documents once to one place and then we do the rest.

[back to top]

What services do you offer for US expats living in the UK?

We can refer you to our UK accountant to complete your UK Self-Assessment for individuals or assist with your business returns. They also offer one-on-one consultations to discuss your specific tax situation.

[back to top]

When do my UK expat taxes have to be filed?

UK taxes are due by the 31st of January following the end of the tax year.

[back to top]

When is considered the end of a tax year in the UK?

The UK tax year end is April 5 every year.

[back to top]