Get Started

Foreign Bank Account Reporting

The FBAR is only required if you have a financial interest in one or more overseas financial accounts and the total value of all of the financial accounts combined was $10,000 or more during any point during the tax year.

The FBAR (FinCEN Form 114) must be filed electronically with the US Treasury Department (not the IRS) by April 15th. There is an automatic extension of 2 months for US citizens living abroad to June 15th. And this year, an additional automatic extension is available, which extends the due date to October 15th.

Greenback always offers…

  • Dependability. You can count on your CPA or IRS Enrolled Agent working directly with you through the FBAR reporting process (and beyond!).
  • Expertise. We are experts in filing FBARs for our clients.
  • Security. We understand the importance of keeping your financial account information safe and secure. We only share information with you (and receive information from you) via a secure private folder, which uses the same security encryption as most banks use.
  • Easy to work with. We make it easy for you to get your FBAR filings done. You will work with the same accountant to file your FBAR as your tax return.
Cost: $100 USD for up to 5 accounts, and $50 for each additional 5 accounts
Get Started Now

Providing unbeatable peace of mind to expats around the world.

FBAR Filing Pricing & Service FAQ

  • How can I pay for my US expat tax services?

    We accept MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Diner’s Club, or JCB for payment.

    If needed, you also can wire money to us directly. However, please note that there is an additional $25 charge for each incoming transfer. If you need to pay via wire transfer, please send us a message here.

    Unfortunately, we cannot accept paper checks.

    How to pay your invoice

    1. To view your invoices, log in to your Greenback Tax Companion Account and navigate to My Account and Invoices.
    2. Click “View” to see your invoice.
    3. Once you’ve opened your invoice, click the “Pay Online” button to visit our secure payment page.
    4. From there, follow the on-screen instructions to submit your payment.
  • When do I have to pay for my Greenback services?

    Nothing is due up front.

    We want you to be 100% satisfied before you pay anything, so we will send your invoice after your return is drafted. Once you approve your draft return and pay the invoice, your final tax return will be uploaded to your secure file. We will e-file your return if possible, but if we are unable, you will need to print, sign, and mail in your tax return.

    Click here to view your current and past invoices.


  • Who are your accountants?

    The Greenback team works virtually across the US and around the world.

    This flexible structure allows us to find the most experienced accountants and professionals, regardless of where they live and also helps us to better serve Americans living abroad around the world.

    We hand select only the most experienced, knowledgeable and friendly professionals for our team. Our accountants specialize in handling international tax matters and bring with them a wealth of expat accounting expertise.

    Check out our team of US CPAs and IRS Enrolled Agents!

  • Why should I choose Greenback over other US expat tax preparation providers?

    At Greenback, we pride ourselves in offering a service that is a cut above the rest.

    • All of our accountants are US CPAs or IRS Enrolled Agents with extensive and specific experience with expatriate taxation.
    • Your accountant will work with you and answer your questions before, during, and after your return is prepared.
    • We offer a customer portal – the Greenback Tax Companion – built 100% by customer feedback.
    • We do our best to make the US expat tax filing process as simple as possible for you with an account that becomes customized to you. Based on initial information you provide, you will be guided to upload the docs and info you need, without endless calculations and forms to complete.
    • Finally, we believe in honest, transparent, flat-fee pricing. Our prices are listed openly for you to review and understand before you engage with us.

    But don’t take our word for it! We invite you to read what our current customers have to say about why they love working with us!

  • What are the important US tax deadlines?

    April 15th, June 15th, and October 15th

    *If the 15th falls on a weekend, then the due date becomes the first business day of the following week.

    Expatriates must be aware of the following deadlines for their US expat tax return.


    April 15th*:

    US filing deadline and the date that tax payments are due, even for expats.

    *Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the IRS has extended the normal April 15th deadline to May 17th, 2021.


    June 15th:

    US expats receive an automatic extension until June 15th to file their US taxes; note that taxes are due on April 17th, and interest (but no penalties) will be applied if taxes are not paid by April 17th. Penalties will apply if taxes are not paid by June 15th. The 15th is also the FBAR deadline for US expats; however, there is an automatic extension until the October 15th deadline.


    October 15th:

    Final deadline for expat tax returns for those who have filed for an extension. This is also the final deadline for filing an FBAR.

    Please Note: The US Federal tax return extension is an extension of time to file and not an extension of time to pay any tax due to the IRS. If you owe tax to the US, your interest will start accruing from the first tax deadline – April 15th. Additionally, if you do not request an extension and do not file, a late payment penalty of 5% may be assessed each month until the tax is paid.

    Learn more about deadlines and extensions in our blog.


    If you are a resident alien, generally you will have the same filing requirements as a US citizen within the US.

    If you are living in the US, you will have the same filing deadline as other residents and citizens: April 15th.

    However, if your main place of residence is still outside the US, you will have an automatic extension until June 15th (please note that all taxes owed will still be due by April 15th) for your tax return filing.

  • How do I know if I need to complete the Foreign Bank Account Reporting (FBAR)?

    Basically, anyone with $10,000 or more (USD equivalents included) in a foreign bank or financial account at any point during the calendar year will be required to file the FBAR.

    So, if your bank account in a foreign country typically has a balance of $9,950, but for one day has an extra $50, you will need to file an FBAR. Cumulative balances are also counted, so if you have $3,000 in four separate accounts, you will be required to file the FBAR. For more information, please refer to our blog post: Everything You Need to Know About the FBAR.

    The US Department of the Treasury can impose significant penalties for failing to file, including the seizure of assets. If you are behind on filing FBAR, we recommend you get caught up as soon as possible.

  • What kinds of foreign financial accounts do I have to declare on my US expat tax return?

    In general, any bank or financial account held in a bank located outside of the geographical boundaries of the United States is considered a foreign account, regardless of the nationality of the institution that holds the account. According to the Treasury Department: “The term ‘financial account’ includes any bank, securities, securities derivatives or other financial instruments accounts. Such accounts generally also encompass any accounts in which the assets are held in a commingled fund, and the account owner holds an equity interest in the fund (including mutual funds).” The term also means any savings, demand, checking, deposit, time deposit, or any other account (including debit card, prepaid credit card accounts, and many foreign pension/retirement accounts) maintained with a financial institution or other person engaged in the business of a financial institution.