Expat Tax Services & Pricing

Greenback prides itself on offering an extensive choice of expat tax services, as well as open, transparent, flat-fee pricing.




Federal Tax Return Preparation




Our most common service for Americans who have earned income while living abroad, foreign nationals, and those who have recently repatriated to the US.

What’s Included:

  • Form 1040 (the main form in your tax return)
  • Form 1116 (to claim the Foreign Tax Credit)
  • Form 2555 (to claim the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, or FEIE)
  • All Standard Schedules A-E
  • Up to three Schedule K-1s (for reporting income, loss or dividends from your share of a partnership)
  • Up to 20 bank and brokerage transactions



Streamlined Filing Package





SAVE 10%

Has it been a while since your last filed a US tax return? Our flat fee package saves you money and makes getting caught up as hassle-free as possible!

What’s Included:

  • 3 years of delinquent Federal Tax Return (everything included in our Federal Tax Return Preparation package x3)
  • 6 years of FBARS (up to 5 accounts per FBAR form and $50 for each additional 5 accounts)
  • Assistance with Form 14653, which certifies that tax delinquency was non-willful

Not ready for tax prep but need some expert advice?

Discuss your tax needs with a Greenback accountant via video, phone, or email. Consultations start at $250 USD.

Schedule a consultation

State Tax Return Preparation

Some expats need to file a State Tax Return even while living abroad. Whether you need to file a state return or not depends on the last state you resided in and your ongoing association with that state.



Foreign Bank Account Reporting

The Foreign Bank Account Report (FBAR or FinCEN Form 114) must be filed by individuals who have $10,000 or more in foreign bank accounts at any point during the year. Price covers up to 5 accounts. Each additional 5 accounts cost $50.



FATCA Reporting

Some US expats have foreign assets that must be reported under FATCA regulations and our experienced accountants are here to help!



Small Business Tax Return Preparation

If you are a US expat operating a business (other than a sole proprietorship), we can file all necessary forms.



Late Tax Return Preparation

We have particular expertise helping Americans who are late filing their taxes (sometimes by decades!) get back on track using the Streamlined Procedure or via a quiet disclosure.



Additional Tax Forms and Schedules

While most people only need to file the forms that we include under our flat fee, we are also able to prepare any additional forms you may need to complete your return — all at flat fees!

Variable pricing


Ready to get started on your US Expat Taxes?

We take the hassle out of filing taxes so you can get back to your adventure abroad.

Get Started Today

Greenback Services & Pricing

How can I pay for my US expat tax services?

We accept MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Diner’s Club, or JCB for payment.

If needed, you also can wire money to us directly. However, please note that there is an additional $25 charge for each incoming transfer. If you need to pay via wire transfer, please email us.

Unfortunately, we cannot accept paper checks.

How to pay your invoice

  1. To view your invoices, log in to your Greenback Tax Companion Account and navigate to My Account and Invoices.
  2. Click “View” to see your invoice.
  3. Once you’ve opened your invoice, click the “Pay Online” button to visit our secure payment page.
  4. From there, follow the on-screen instructions to submit your payment.

What are the important US tax deadlines?

April 15th, June 15th, and October 15th

*If the 15th falls on a weekend, then the due date becomes the first business day of the following week. In 2023 that makes the deadline April 18th.

Expatriates must be aware of the following deadlines for their US expat tax return.

April 18th:

US filing deadline and the date that tax payments are due, even for expats.

June 15th:

US expats receive an automatic extension until June 15th to file their US taxes; note that taxes are due on April 18th, and interest (but no penalties) will be applied if taxes are not paid by April 18th. Penalties will apply if taxes are not paid by June 15th. The 15th is also the FBAR deadline for US expats; however, there is an automatic extension until the October 15th deadline.

October 15th:

Final deadline for expat tax returns for those who have filed for an extension. This is also the final deadline for filing an FBAR.

Please Note: The US Federal tax return extension is an extension of time to file and not an extension of time to pay any tax due to the IRS. If you owe tax to the US, your interest will start accruing from the first tax deadline – April 18th. Additionally, if you do not request an extension and do not file, a late payment penalty of 5% may be assessed each month until the tax is paid.

Learn more about deadlines and extensions in our knowledge center guide.

If you are a resident alien, generally you will have the same filing requirements as a US citizen within the US.

If you are living in the US, you will have the same filing deadline as other residents and citizens: April 18th.

However, if your main place of residence is still outside the US, you will have an automatic extension until June 15th (please note that all taxes owed will still be due by April 18th) for your tax return filing.

Who are your accountants?

We hand select only the most experienced, knowledgeable and friendly professionals for our team. Our accountants are all CPA’s or IRS Enrolled Agents specializing in handling international tax matters and bring with them a wealth of expat accounting expertise.

Who will actually prepare my US expat tax return?

When you work with Greenback, you will be paired with a qualified accountant—either a CPA or an IRS Enrolled Agent—with expertise in your tax needs.

Your accountant will bring years of expertise and experience in expatriate taxation to your tax preparation. Our tax professionals boast some of the most impressive credentials in the accounting industry. Plus, they’re friendly, helpful, and committed to getting your taxes done right!

How much experience will my accountant have?

Your accountant will have:

  • Credentials as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or IRS Enrolled Agents (EA)
  • 5+ years of experience—during which time they must have prepared expat tax returns specifically
  • In-depth understanding of expat tax requirements, credits, and planning
  • Up-to-date knowledge of the latest tax code changes
  • Many have master’s degrees or other advanced degrees in accounting, law, or finance
  • Often, your accountant will have lived abroad themselves and knows the joys and challenges of expat life

Will my accountant be friendly and responsive to my questions?

In addition to tax expertise, your accountant will be friendly, helpful, and answer all of your questions promptly. Your dedicated accountant will take time to get to know you and your specific situation. Understanding your unique needs will help your accountant secure the biggest savings and best tax outcome for you.

Many of our accountants previously worked for Big Four accounting firms—which are the largest professional services companies in the world. Now, they’ve chosen to focus their talents on helping expats like you because they enjoy giving clients personalized attention and being a part of your adventure abroad.

Will my tax prep ever be outsourced?

No, we will never outsource your expat tax return preparation to anyone outside of our team. You will always be paired with one of Greenback’s accountants, all of whom have been hand-selected to represent the best the accounting industry has to offer.

In fact, if you choose to work with Greenback year-after-year (and we hope you do!), you’ll typically have the option to work with the same tax professional next year.

Curious about the rest of the team? Learn more about Greenback’s expat founders and management team.

Why should I choose Greenback over other US expat tax preparation providers?

At Greenback, we pride ourselves in offering a service that is a cut above the rest.

  • All of our accountants are US CPAs or IRS Enrolled Agents with extensive and specific experience with expatriate taxation.
  • Your accountant will work with you and answer your questions before, during, and after your return is prepared.
  • We offer a customer portal – the Greenback Tax Companion – built with customer feedback in mind.
  • We do our best to make the US expat tax filing process as simple as possible for you with an account that becomes customized to you. Based on initial information you provide, you will be guided to upload the docs and info you need, without endless calculations and forms to complete.
  • Finally, we believe in honest, transparent, flat-fee pricing. Our prices are listed openly for you to review and understand before you engage with us.

But don’t take our word for it! We invite you to read what our current customers have to say about why they love working with us!

Featured in

Free Guide 25 Things Every Expat Needs to Know About Taxes

Lead Form - Tax Guide - 25 Things

  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • By entering your email, you agree to receive emails from Greenback. You may opt out at any time per our Privacy Policy.
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.