Get Started

Simple taxes for US citizens working in Japan.

Taxes are usually the last thing US citizens working in Japan want to spend time on. Our experts can help you file fast and save a bundle.

Start Your U.S. Expat Tax Return

  • By entering your email, you agree to receive emails from Greenback. You may opt out at any time per our Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Learn top strategies for reducing your US expat taxes in Japan.

Skip the research. We’ll show you how to save with special tax credits, exclusions, and deductions.

  1. Hoping to avoid paying US taxes when you are in Japan? Many expats can reduce or even eliminate their US tax bill using the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, foreign tax credits, or the foreign housing exclusion.

  2. The US-Japan Tax Treaty protects expatriates from double taxation and outlines where to pay certain taxes. But, like any legal document, the rules can feel confusing and filing incorrectly can lead to time-consuming audits and IRS penalties.

  3. Working for a Japanese employer? You will need to pay Japanese Social Security taxes. Fortunately, an agreement between the US and Japan requires you to pay into only one system so taxes aren’t doubled.

  4. As an anti-fraud measure, the IRS requires Americans abroad to report on foreign financial assets. This means you’ll need to file an FBAR form to disclose Japanese bank accounts and other funds to the US government.

  5. US expats may need to pay capital gains taxes, estate taxes, gift taxes, and taxes on non-cash compensation to the Japanese government. Luckily, some payments can be claimed as foreign tax credits to reduce your US tax bill!

Making sense of tax rules for Americans living in Japan is the key to big savings. Greenback makes it easy!

Less time on US taxes. More time to explore the Land of the Rising Sun.

Most Americans in Japan need to file the standard set of tax forms outlined below. But don’t worry—we’ll review your needs to make sure your tax filing is accurate and complete!Simply let us know if you own a business, are behind on your US taxes, received an inheritance, or have another unique tax situation.

Federal Tax Return

All Americans living abroad need to file a federal tax return each year, if they make over the minimum filing thresholds (12,000 for filing single, 24,000 for married filing jointly). This is true even if you are filing in the country in which you reside.


State Tax Return

This varies on the last state you lived in in the US. Some states like California or Virginia require you to file a tax return, others like Washington or Texas do not. We can advise you based on your specific situation.


FBAR Reporting

If you have a financial interest in one or more overseas financial accounts and the total value of all of the financial accounts combined was $10,000 or more during any point during the tax year.

$100 per 5 accounts

The Greenback Difference

  • We go the extra - few thousand - miles.

    Whether it is finding every possible deduction to reduce your tax liability, or providing a timely answer to a question, all Greenback accountants go above and beyond to take care of our clients all around the world.

  • Messy calculations no more.

    Our accountants do all the heavy lifting when it comes to your tax return. We don’t have you do any of the financial calculations, as many firms do.

  • No tax jargon. Just clear communication.

    We take great care to explain taxes in simple terms that you can understand. Our accountants are excellent communicators who truly want you to understand what they are doing and why.

  • Ensuring your privacy with banking-grade security.

    Your privacy is always paramount. We use 256-bit data encryption, which is the same as most banks use, to ensure the highest level of security. Each client is given a personal, password-protected online folder where they upload their tax documents. Only you and your accountant will access to the files, so your private information stays just that – private.

Client Promise

Free Guide
25 Things Every Expat
Needs to Know
About Taxes

  • By entering your email, you agree to receive emails from Greenback. You may opt out at any time per our Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.