Get Started

Easy taxes for US citizens working in Switzerland.

Living and working in Switzerland? Juggling two tax systems can be stressful for US citizens. We shed light on complex tax rules to help you maximize savings.

Start Your U.S. Expat Tax Return

  • By entering your email, you agree to receive emails from Greenback. You may opt out at any time per our Privacy Policy.
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

All of the savings. None of the hassle.

From exclusions to deadlines, we help you file your US taxes in Switzerland like a pro.

  1. Switzerland has a complex tax system that imposes taxes at multiple levels, which can increase the risk of costly mistakes for US citizens working in the country.

  2. As an American expat, you may need to report on Swiss bank accounts and financial assets using the FBAR form. Failing to do so may result in penalties from the IRS.

  3. An agreement between the US and Switzerland prevents double taxation on Social Security, provided you contribute to either the US or Swiss fund.

  4. Using a combination of tax credits, exclusions, and deductions, Americans working in Switzerland may be able to reduce or completely eliminate their US tax payment. But you’ll still need to file a US tax return every year.

When it comes to tax savings for Americans in Switzerland, it pays to partner with a professional. That’s where Greenback comes in!

Let us handle your US expat taxes while you explore Switzerland.

Here’s an overview of what most US citizens working in Switzerland will need to provide. To make sure your expat tax return is complete and accurate, we’ll review your situation for any unique circumstances (for example, if you’re self-employed).

Federal Tax Return

All Americans living abroad need to file a federal tax return each year, if they make over the minimum filing thresholds (12,000 for filing single, 24,000 for married filing jointly). This is true even if you are filing in the country in which you reside.


State Tax Return

This varies on the last state you lived in in the US. Some states like California or Virginia require you to file a tax return, others like Washington or Texas do not. We can advise you based on your specific situation.


FBAR Reporting

If you have a financial interest in one or more overseas financial accounts and the total value of all of the financial accounts combined was $10,000 or more during any point during the tax year.

$100 per 5 accounts

The Greenback Difference

  • We go the extra - few thousand - miles.

    Whether it is finding every possible deduction to reduce your tax liability, or providing a timely answer to a question, all Greenback accountants go above and beyond to take care of our clients all around the world.

  • Messy calculations no more.

    Our accountants do all the heavy lifting when it comes to your tax return. We don’t have you do any of the financial calculations, as many firms do.

  • No tax jargon. Just clear communication.

    We take great care to explain taxes in simple terms that you can understand. Our accountants are excellent communicators who truly want you to understand what they are doing and why.

  • Ensuring your privacy with banking-grade security.

    Your privacy is always paramount. We use 256-bit data encryption, which is the same as most banks use, to ensure the highest level of security. Each client is given a personal, password-protected online folder where they upload their tax documents. Only you and your accountant will access to the files, so your private information stays just that – private.

Client Promise

Free Guide
25 Things Every Expat
Needs to Know
About Taxes

  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • By entering your email, you agree to receive emails from Greenback. You may opt out at any time per our Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.