How do I apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)?
There are a few ways to for you to get an ITIN:
- You can file Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, with your Federal income tax return.
- If following this method, we will be responsible for preparing only the Form W7 and including it with that Federal return. You will have to mail in the Federal return and include all the original documentation needed for the ITIN processing (proof of identity and foreign status, etc).
- It is $150 for us to complete the W7.
- Utilize one of our Certified Acceptance Agents (CAA).
- The main benefit of using an acceptance agent is you do not have to send in your original documents (passport, etc) to the IRS. Instead, our CAAs will video-call with you and verify your identity via video chat. You will also have to mail your items (passport) to them so that they can double check your identity. Even though you are still sending items in the mail, you will get them back within a week or two with this route rather than several months with option 1.
- It is $295 for an ITIN using the acceptance agent. If a family all needs ITIN numbers, there is a discount when we do several, so additional ITIN numbers are just $150.
Please contact Customer Support and let them know which option you would like to move forward with.