Get Started

US citizen working in the UK? We make taxes simple.

While working in the UK, US citizens face the added complexity of needing to file taxes — and understand the tax systems — in two countries. But you don’t have to do it alone.

Start Your U.S. Expat Tax Return

  • By entering your email, you agree to receive emails from Greenback. You may opt out at any time per our Privacy Policy.
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Find out the best ways for US citizens working in the UK to save on taxes.

We’ll help you take advantage of special tax credits while simplifying the filing process:

  1. In addition to paying US taxes while living in the UK, Americans may need to file a UK tax return. This makes mistakes twice as costly for these expats!

  2. Expats working in the UK have additional US-UK Social Security and tax obligations they need to adhere to.

  3. Americans living in the UK are required to pay capital gains tax on property sales, estate taxes, and self-employment taxes, if applicable. Incomplete filings can result in frustrating audits and penalties.

  4. The US-UK Tax Treaty helps prevent double taxation, but it’s up to US citizens to understand which special tax credits and exemptions to use while living and working in the UK.

Knowing the rules for US expats in the UK is the easiest way to save time and money! That’s where Greenback comes in.

We’ll take care of your US expat tax return, while you enjoy life in the UK.

Most US citizens working in the UK can fulfill their requirements to the IRS by providing the documents below. Of course, your needs may vary, for instance if you are not up to date on your US tax returns or own a business. But most expats in the UK need to file the following:

Federal Tax Return

All Americans living abroad need to file a federal tax return each year, if they make over the minimum filing thresholds (12,000 for filing single, 24,000 for married filing jointly). This is true even if you are filing in the country in which you reside.


State Tax Return

This varies on the last state you lived in in the US. Some states like California or Virginia require you to file a tax return, others like Washington or Texas do not. We can advise you based on your specific situation.


FBAR Reporting

If you have a financial interest in one or more overseas financial accounts and the total value of all of the financial accounts combined was $10,000 or more during any point during the tax year.

$100 per 5 accounts

The Greenback Difference

  • We go the extra - few thousand - miles.

    Whether it is finding every possible deduction to reduce your tax liability, or providing a timely answer to a question, all Greenback accountants go above and beyond to take care of our clients all around the world.

  • Messy calculations no more.

    Our accountants do all the heavy lifting when it comes to your tax return. We don’t have you do any of the financial calculations, as many firms do.

  • No tax jargon. Just clear communication.

    We take great care to explain taxes in simple terms that you can understand. Our accountants are excellent communicators who truly want you to understand what they are doing and why.

  • Ensuring your privacy with banking-grade security.

    Your privacy is always paramount. We use 256-bit data encryption, which is the same as most banks use, to ensure the highest level of security. Each client is given a personal, password-protected online folder where they upload their tax documents. Only you and your accountant will access to the files, so your private information stays just that – private.

Client Promise

Free Guide
25 Things Every Expat
Needs to Know
About Taxes

  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • By entering your email, you agree to receive emails from Greenback. You may opt out at any time per our Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.