Get Started

Save on self-employment income taxes overseas.

It’s tough enough to file US self-employment income taxes—and working overseas complicates matters! Understanding expat tax rules is the best way to keep cash in the bank.

Start Your U.S. Expat Tax Return

  • By entering your email, you agree to receive emails from Greenback. You may opt out at any time per our Privacy Policy.
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Easy expat taxes. Big savings for contractors and freelancers.

Tired of stressing over self-employment taxes, deductions, and deadlines overseas? We’ve got your back.

  1. Contractors and freelancers overseas can reduce their tax liability by applying the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE). However, this doesn't exempt you from paying self-employment taxes on foreign income, including Social Security taxes, which need to be paid before you can use the FEIE.

  2. Because they are treated as businesses for tax purposes, self-employed freelancers and contractors overseas are taxed on their gross income—which is the profit left over after you’ve deducted the expenses for your freelance work. Track expenses closely and follow rules carefully to avoid IRS scrutiny.

  3. American freelancers working abroad can reduce their US income tax liability dollar-for-dollar by the amount of foreign taxes paid. But keep in mind that if your employer pays foreign taxes on your behalf, they’ll get the tax credit—not you.

  4. Paying for housing while working as a contractor abroad? You can use the Foreign Housing Exclusion to reduce your US tax bill. Likewise, you may be able to deduct reimbursement for relocation and moving expenses.

Tax professionals can help you uncover more opportunities to save on self-employment taxes overseas. That’s where Greenback comes in!

Keep hustling. We’ll take care of your US expat taxes.

We understand that each contractor and freelancer has unique needs when it comes to taxes. We’ll review your situation with you to make sure your US expat tax return is accurate and complete. Generally speaking, self-employed Americans abroad will need to file the following:

Federal Tax Return

All Americans living abroad need to file a federal tax return each year, if they make over the minimum filing thresholds (12,000 for filing single, 24,000 for married filing jointly). This is true even if you are filing in the country in which you reside.


State Tax Return

This varies on the last state you lived in in the US. Some states like California or Virginia require you to file a tax return, others like Washington or Texas do not. We can advise you based on your specific situation.


FBAR Reporting

If you have a financial interest in one or more overseas financial accounts and the total value of all of the financial accounts combined was $10,000 or more during any point during the tax year.

$100 per 5 accounts

The Greenback Difference

  • We go the extra - few thousand - miles.

    Whether it is finding every possible deduction to reduce your tax liability, or providing a timely answer to a question, all Greenback accountants go above and beyond to take care of our clients all around the world.

  • Messy calculations no more.

    Our accountants do all the heavy lifting when it comes to your tax return. We don’t have you do any of the financial calculations, as many firms do.

  • No tax jargon. Just clear communication.

    We take great care to explain taxes in simple terms that you can understand. Our accountants are excellent communicators who truly want you to understand what they are doing and why.

  • Ensuring your privacy with banking-grade security.

    Your privacy is always paramount. We use 256-bit data encryption, which is the same as most banks use, to ensure the highest level of security. Each client is given a personal, password-protected online folder where they upload their tax documents. Only you and your accountant will access to the files, so your private information stays just that – private.

Client Promise

Free Guide
25 Things Every Expat
Needs to Know
About Taxes

  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • By entering your email, you agree to receive emails from Greenback. You may opt out at any time per our Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.