Does scholarship income need to be declared on my US tax return?

Sometimes, expats receive scholarship income which is not taxable in their host country. However, in most cases, the scholarship will be taxable in the US. Unfortunately, there is a clause in most tax treaties that makes the tax-free status inapplicable when you’re a US citizen or permanent resident. Keep in mind, this will depend on your country of residence and the specific details of your scholarship. Make sure to consult an accountant to determine if your scholarship income is taxable in the US.