Get Started

US citizen working in France? Save more on taxes.

With changing French laws and confusion over tax credits for US citizens, navigating your expat taxes can feel like a daunting task. At times like these, you need a professional in your corner!

Start Your U.S. Expat Tax Return

  • By entering your email, you agree to receive emails from Greenback. You may opt out at any time per our Privacy Policy.
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Working in France? Get the tax savings you deserve—without the stress.

From tax credits to deadlines to refunds, we help you file your US expat taxes with confidence.

  1. If you are a US citizen who lived or worked in France during the past decade, you may be owed a refund from the IRS due to an incorrect interpretation of the US-France Tax Treaty. To get back what you’re owed, you’ll need to file an amended return for each year a refund is due.

  2. While living in France, US citizens may need to pay property or rental taxes, capital gains taxes, and inheritance taxes.

  3. Expats pay Social Security taxes in either the US or France based on the type of work being done and the duration of employment.

  4. Recent changes to French tax law have complicated matters further by affecting foreign tax credits for US citizens.

Want to keep more money in your pocket? Understanding tax requirements for US citizens in France is the key! That’s where Greenback comes in.

Less time on taxes. More joie de vivre in France.

While individual tax needs may vary—for example, if you own a business or need to get caught up on your US filings—most Americans working in France will need to provide the following:

Federal Tax Return

All Americans living abroad need to file a federal tax return each year, if they make over the minimum filing thresholds (12,000 for filing single, 24,000 for married filing jointly). This is true even if you are filing in the country in which you reside.


State Tax Return

This varies on the last state you lived in in the US. Some states like California or Virginia require you to file a tax return, others like Washington or Texas do not. We can advise you based on your specific situation.


FBAR Reporting

If you have a financial interest in one or more overseas financial accounts and the total value of all of the financial accounts combined was $10,000 or more during any point during the tax year.

$100 per 5 accounts

The Greenback Difference

  • We go the extra - few thousand - miles.

    Whether it is finding every possible deduction to reduce your tax liability, or providing a timely answer to a question, all Greenback accountants go above and beyond to take care of our clients all around the world.

  • Messy calculations no more.

    Our accountants do all the heavy lifting when it comes to your tax return. We don’t have you do any of the financial calculations, as many firms do.

  • No tax jargon. Just clear communication.

    We take great care to explain taxes in simple terms that you can understand. Our accountants are excellent communicators who truly want you to understand what they are doing and why.

  • Ensuring your privacy with banking-grade security.

    Your privacy is always paramount. We use 256-bit data encryption, which is the same as most banks use, to ensure the highest level of security. Each client is given a personal, password-protected online folder where they upload their tax documents. Only you and your accountant will access to the files, so your private information stays just that – private.

Client Promise

Free Guide
25 Things Every Expat
Needs to Know
About Taxes

  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • By entering your email, you agree to receive emails from Greenback. You may opt out at any time per our Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.