Get Started

Simple US taxes for Americans in Afghanistan.

From military personnel to contractors to travelers, US citizens in Afghanistan have one thing in common: filing taxes in two countries. Fortunately, working with a tax professional can save you time and money.

Start Your U.S. Expat Tax Return

  • By entering your email, you agree to receive emails from Greenback. You may opt out at any time per our Privacy Policy.
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Everything you need to file your US expat taxes from Afghanistan.

From choosing the right form to keeping track of deadlines, we make taxes easy.

  1. If you pay taxes in Afghanistan, you won't be tax exempt in the US—but you will be able to use foreign tax credits to reduce your American taxes. Even though there is no tax treaty between the US and Afghanistan, both countries have ways of protecting expats from double taxation. Make sure you’re aware of the best ways to save!

  2. Military and civilian employees in Afghanistan who were paid by the US government may qualify for the combat zone exclusion, which automatically reduces your US expat tax liability.

  3. Those who do not quality for combat-zone related tax benefits—such as defense contractors, employees of contractors, and other expats—can use the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE) to reduce their US taxes while working in Afghanistan.

  4. All Americans in Afghanistan must use the FBAR form to report on foreign financial assets, including bank accounts, which exceed the threshold set by the IRS. Submitting your US expat tax return without this report can result in costly penalties.

Tax professionals know the best ways to avoid extra costs and get taxes done quickly. Greenback has the team you can trust!

Get your US taxes done right.

We’ll review your individual situation to make sure your US tax return is accurate and complete. Generally speaking, most Americans in Afghanistan will need to file the following:

Federal Tax Return

All Americans living abroad need to file a federal tax return each year, if they make over the minimum filing thresholds (12,000 for filing single, 24,000 for married filing jointly). This is true even if you are filing in the country in which you reside.


State Tax Return

This varies on the last state you lived in in the US. Some states like California or Virginia require you to file a tax return, others like Washington or Texas do not. We can advise you based on your specific situation.


FBAR Reporting

If you have a financial interest in one or more overseas financial accounts and the total value of all of the financial accounts combined was $10,000 or more during any point during the tax year.

$100 per 5 accounts

The Greenback Difference

  • We go the extra - few thousand - miles.

    Whether it is finding every possible deduction to reduce your tax liability, or providing a timely answer to a question, all Greenback accountants go above and beyond to take care of our clients all around the world.

  • Messy calculations no more.

    Our accountants do all the heavy lifting when it comes to your tax return. We don’t have you do any of the financial calculations, as many firms do.

  • No tax jargon. Just clear communication.

    We take great care to explain taxes in simple terms that you can understand. Our accountants are excellent communicators who truly want you to understand what they are doing and why.

  • Ensuring your privacy with banking-grade security.

    Your privacy is always paramount. We use 256-bit data encryption, which is the same as most banks use, to ensure the highest level of security. Each client is given a personal, password-protected online folder where they upload their tax documents. Only you and your accountant will access to the files, so your private information stays just that – private.

Client Promise

Free Guide
25 Things Every Expat
Needs to Know
About Taxes

  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • By entering your email, you agree to receive emails from Greenback. You may opt out at any time per our Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.