What other information do I need to have on hand while preparing US expat tax returns?

Unlike folks filing from the US, you are going to need to have proof of residency in a foreign country or prove that you were physically present in a foreign country for 330 days within a 12-month period in order to qualify for expatriate status. This could include residency permits, ID cards, or a travel calendar explaining in which countries you were present throughout the tax year. Another key item to have available is the exchange rate – either the daily or annual. The other major tax savings can come from an expat’s ability to deduct part of his or her housing expenses; as such, you will want to keep records for rents paid, utility costs (excluding telephone), and insurance costs.