Get Started

Easy taxes for Americans living and working abroad.

As an overseas employee, you face a more challenging tax environment. Understanding the nuances of taxes for Americans living and working abroad can help simplify the filing process and maximize savings.

Start Your U.S. Expat Tax Return

  • By entering your email, you agree to receive emails from Greenback. You may opt out at any time per our Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

The quickest way to file taxes for Americans working abroad.

We’ll tell you what to report, when to file, and how to save on your US income taxes.

  1. Tax exemptions for US citizens working abroad include the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, foreign tax credits, and the foreign housing exclusion. Provided you live in a foreign country the required amount of time, you can use these exclusions to save on US taxes.

  2. Did you move to a foreign country for an overseas assignment? Direct business expenses and moving expenses can be deducted to avoid increasing your taxable income.

  3. If you are employed by a US company while working abroad, taxes will be deducted automatically from your paycheck. But if you know you will qualify for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, you can request an exclusion to avoid overpaying on your US taxes.

  4. Tax Treaties and Totalization Agreements help prevent double taxation on income and Social Security. Be sure to find out what tax protections are available to US citizens working in your host country.

  5. Along with your tax filing, all Americans living and working abroad need to report on foreign financial accounts, including bank accounts and investments, that exceed certain thresholds.

Tax professionals can help you speed up the filing process and identify ways to save. Greenback has you covered!

We’ll handle your US expat taxes so you can get back to work.

Most Americans living and working abroad will need to file the documents below for their US tax return. To make sure your filing is accurate and complete, we’ll review your tax needs together.

Federal Tax Return

All Americans working abroad need to file a federal tax return each year, if they make over the minimum filing thresholds (12,000 for filing single, 24,000 for married filing jointly). This is true even if you are filing in the country in which you reside.

$485 USD

State Tax Return

This varies on the last state you lived in in the US. Some states like California or Virginia require you to file a tax return, others like Washington or Texas do not. We can advise you based on your specific situation.

$155 USD

FBAR Reporting

If you have a financial interest in one or more overseas financial accounts and the total value of all of the financial accounts combined was $10,000 or more during any point during the tax year.

$100 USD per 5 accounts

The Greenback Difference

  • We go the extra - few thousand - miles.

    Whether it is finding every possible deduction to reduce your tax liability, or providing a timely answer to a question, all Greenback accountants go above and beyond to take care of our clients all around the world.

  • Messy calculations no more.

    Our accountants do all the heavy lifting when it comes to your tax return. We don’t have you do any of the financial calculations, as many firms do.

  • No tax jargon. Just clear communication.

    We take great care to explain taxes in simple terms that you can understand. Our accountants are excellent communicators who truly want you to understand what they are doing and why.

  • Ensuring your privacy with banking-grade security.

    Your privacy is always paramount. We use 256-bit data encryption, which is the same as most banks use, to ensure the highest level of security. Each client is given a personal, password-protected online folder where they upload their tax documents. Only you and your accountant will access to the files, so your private information stays just that – private.

Client Promise

Free Guide
25 Things Every Expat
Needs to Know
About Taxes

  • By entering your email, you agree to receive emails from Greenback. You may opt out at any time per our Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.