How do self-employment taxes work if my country does not have a totalization agreement in place?

Unfortunately, for those who are self-employed and living in a country without a US totalization agreement, double taxation is quite common. This is due to the fact that many have to pay self-employment taxes to the US, even if they have already paid them to their host country.

If you are in a situation like this, speaking to an expat accountant is imperative. Their expertise will ensure that you are taking all possible deductions, which will limit your tax liability as much as possible.